Search This Blog

Sunday, 12 September 2010

THE PRICE OF A BAD HAIRCUT (guest blog post by the boy)


 Thank you HellCandy for inviting me to write a second guest post. This one is about my horror story of a really bad haircut that I had recently and still am recovering from. For my first guest post click here.

The price of a bad haircut

I few months ago I decided to change my hairdresser because I was finding her expensive for providing what in my mind I thought to be a simple haircut for a guy. With straightish hair I usually grow it in similar style to say Johnny Depp (maybe not as long) or Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible (again probably not as long). My hairdresser was slowly increasing her prices to the point where she was charging me almost £40 (US$60; €48) for a trim. She would give a good service which included massaging my head and the salon had a nice atmosphere so it was really relaxing. But her haircuts always had something that wasn’t quite right so I decided that it wasn’t worth paying so much for a haircut that isn’t amazing. On top of that many hairdressers outside of London have given me a better haircut for much less money (I use to live in Australia and have travelled a fair bit so I have used a lot of different hairdressers over the years). 

The new salon I went to ended up charging me only £17 (US$26; €20) and the first haircut I received was from the Russian girl who owned this small salon. She gave me a hair cut that was just as good if not a little better than my previous hair dresser with less of the fancy service (eg massaging my head) so I thought I made a good choice. But then came my second haircut! The next time I went back to the salon it was for an urgent appointment made at the last minute for a job interview. As a result the Russian girl wasn’t available but instead a new gay guy was available to cut my hair. At first I thought well he is gay and he looks stylish so this haircut is going to be amazing. I asked for a trim and he seemed confident but then starting being really rough to the point where instead of holding my hair to cut it he was pulling it. He also starting arguing with me about the natural place where my hair should part (which in his mind was not where I had it). To cut a long story short he ended up giving me the worst haircut I have ever had in my life – EVER! He was rude, didn’t trim my hair the way I wanted but instead changed the style completely and also almost scratched my eye out with his scissors. Instead of hair like Johhny Depp or Tom Cruise I had hair like Jim Carrey in Dumb and Dumber but with a mullet. I was mortified. I had a job interview the next day and thought I looked ridiculous.

The next day I used hair products to try and make my hair look respectable. I managed to get the job but still hated my hair. The next few days I was starting to feel worse and worse about myself. I would have ups and downs thinking its just hair, it will grow back and telling myself to not be vain – its just hair. However, I kept feeling embarrassed and not wanting to go out so nobody would see me. After four days I decided to go back to the salon and ask for another haircut from the Russian girl. I went passed the salon first to see if the guy was there. I didn’t want to confront him and was hoping I could get another haircut without him knowing. The salon was empty and I heard a female’s voice so I thought the Russian hairdresser was downstairs. I entered and called her name but instead the gay guy entered the salon from behind me. He was outside talking to someone. He looked confused when he saw me asking himself why am I back. Not sure what to do I told him that I wanted to book another appointment. He then started to look through the diary and I realised he was looking to book me in with him so I quickly said I’d like an appointment with my previous hairdresser because she cut my hair the first time and I’d like to have continuity with only one hairdresser as it is easier that way. He then asked me if I didn’t like his haircut. Not wanting to insult him I said that I might not have been clear with my instructions to him so I’d like to cut it again. He then looked annoyed and said that he could book me in with the Russian girl in a week but to bear in mind that he is the new manager at the salon now and she will begin to stop seeing clients so I couldn’t really have continuity with her. At that point the only thing I could think was I AM NOT WALKING AROUND LIKE THIS FOR ANOTHER WEEK AND YOU ARE NOT GOING TO CUT MY HAIR AGAIN! I said I really would like my hair cut today if possible. He then asked me what didn’t I like about his haircut. I tried to avoid answering the question but we clearly couldn’t book an appointment for that day at which point he slammed shut the diary and said, “I’m sorry you had such a terrible haircut!” and stormed out of the salon. I was so confused. I’m standing in the middle of the salon alone with a terrible haircut thinking that not only did I pay to be butchered like this, but on top of that I have emotional guilt to deal with.

I went to another salon and they ended up fixing the haircut for another £25 (US$38; €30). The hairdresser was amazed when I told her the story and couldn’t understand how the guy had cut my hair. She described it as someone using a ruler to cut my hair. I’m still growing my hair now but it is looking better and better by the day. It will take around 3 – 4 months to get back to how it was. What an ordeal! In my mind I keep thinking how much does a haircut really cost especially a bad one?
 
Have you ever had any horror stories with a hairdresser?

3 comments:

  1. Dear guest blogger:

    I think you have the patience of Job and the tact of a judge. What a LOUSY experience! I would at least have asked for my money back. I have never had a bad haircut, just some are better. $60 is a LOT for a guy's haircut. That is what I pay - US $$ - every 3 months or so for a scalp and hand massage, shampoo, cut and blow dry. Then she precision finish-cuts and either flat-irons or blows dry again. I have been seeing her for over 2 years, and the price has not gone up. I tip her $20 and get my bangs trimmed once between haircuts - without charge. I value what she does.

    I do think you get what you pay for. Would I still see her if the price went up? I think yes, though it might be longer between haircuts. Best of luck to you and your hair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once had a haircut where I asked for my usual half inch of the length with shorter layers to add volume so I could just schmoosh them up before I went out, and my side fringe needed a trim. What I got instead was about two inches off my hair, no short layers and she trimmed my fringe too long and didn't even blow dry it!! I was so angry, actually it still makes me fume now - she played it far too safe with my layers and the fact she did nothing with my fringe just shows what an amateur she was! And the worst part...I paid £45!!! I couldn't tell her I didn't like it...

    To avoid a rubbish salon experience try http://www.secretsalons.com/ where you can read reviews etc - helped me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant guest post but wish you had posted pictures of the before and after haircuts!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated...fire away! I shall adore you dearly.