
On my recent trip to NYC I picked up Tarte's EmphasEYES waterproof clay shadow/liner.
I spent a while debating between this one and Make Up Forever's waterproof liner and eventually went with Tarte because it was a more intense black and also came with a double ended brush.
I've been using this for a few weeks and here are my first impressions:
* Doesn't apply as smoothly as I would like...think this would be down to that Amazonian clay ingredient...
* A very deep intense black...did I mention INTENSE! Much more black than Mac's Blacktrack.
* Waterproof, great for the summer as it doesn't bleed.
*slightly cakey...can get a bit cracky if you know what I mean.
My usual go-to gel eyeliner has been Mac's fluidline in blacktrack and despite owning this Tarte one, I find myself returning back to blacktrack as it's much smoother to apply and allows me to get a sharp and clean edge to my signature "flicks".
Tarte's EmphasEYES is incredibly dark with a matte finish where as Mac's fluidline has a slightly shiny finish. (Tarte left, Mac right):
The brush that comes with the liner is double ended, with one end for eyeshadow application:
..and the other for precision eyeliner:
Am pretty impressed with this brush and it's great to get one that's not only full size, but also double ended.However, that being said...I did try to use this as an eyeshadow as the intructions and website said would be possible but it's just a bit too cakey. I'll try again and let you know if I manage to make it work!
It's waterproof claim is pretty true to it's word. A splash of water isn't going to make this budge but I can't say how it would fair in a swimming pool full of chlorine!
Hmmm...a bit of a mixed review eh?
I like it...but I think my HG gel eyeliner would have the consistency of Mac Fluidline but with the deep intensity and waterproofness (not a word I know!) of Tarte's EmphasEYES *nods*
Maybe I should have got Make Up Forever's?
If anyone can recommend a gel liner that matches my criteria please PLEASE do let me know!


I use my fingers to apply the Tarte EmphasEYES, and I think it spreads much smoother that way. Coincidentally, I did a post on this today, and I have a picture using it as an eyeshadow. I really like it! Check it out if you want ;)
ReplyDeleteLiking your blog a lot!
Shu's Painting liner in black. when you first try it you are blown away. a rich, intense black gel that lasts all day. it eventually dries a bit and becomes like all the other gel liners but i still think its one of the very best :)
ReplyDelete