Good evening! Hope you all had a lovely weekend :)
Tonights post is a bit of a ranty one am afraid...
SALES ASSSTANTS!
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
Before I go full throttle let me first point out that I use to be one. Admittedly it was a long time ago now but the principles am sure are still quite similar meaning whilst I had to show that I would be helpful, I would never STALK A CUSTOMER!
My first gripe this weekend was with a Benefit assistant. She pretty much pounced on the boy & I asking if we needed help. I politely said no, she loitered around us & I once again said we were ok. Boy picks something up & she moves in for the kill, sorry i mean "sale". Gah...whatever I can't even be bothered to blog my irritation with her!
Next incident happened in Mac Covent Garden yesterday. I asked a MUA for some help choosing some blushers & she said "yeah ok". Couldn't give s**t splattered across her face & she didn't even clean her brush before applying one to my face, hence what should have been Melba ended up a digusting dirty mess on my cheek.
Her attitude pissed me off so much that I walked away with nothing. I just found her incredibly RUDE.
I did however, like the Chanel girl in Debenhams. A bit scarily in your face but at least she was enthusiastic about what she was trying to sell! The Chanel ladies in John Lewis was equally helpful.
Also went to SpaceNK where the sales assistant asked me if I was ok & politely let me browse without any shadowing. Really liked her respect for personal space!
Lastly & it's back to Benefit but this time in Covent Garden & I liked the girls so much there that I bought Posietint. They showed me all the blushers, demonstrated how to use them & let me make my mind up without any pressure.
So yes! It's a fine line in selling make up. I don't usually let experiences like this bug me but this weekends events were exceptionally irritating!
What's been your worst experience?Comment & let me know!
- Posted from my iPhone
Search This Blog
Monday, 22 March 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


How I hate when sales assistant are this much "sticky"! I know they are just trying to do their job but I need my personal space!
ReplyDeleteI had an awful experience at an Illamasqua counter once. I am very very shy so sales assistants make me feel very uncomfortable, but usually after they ask if i need help i just smile and shake my head and they leave me to look on my own. This one woman just made me feel really anxious. She asked if i needed help so i politely said no and smiled and went back to browsing. She then just stood right over me, almost glaring at me, and any time i picked anything up she began talking about how great it would look on me and ask if i wanted to buy it, sometimes before i'd even swatched it. Then i moved to a different point at the counter and she followed me and basically just continued to do the same thing, telling me i should buy whatever i happened to be looking at at the time. Then when i did make my purchases she said 'is that all?' and started listing a load more products she thought i should get. When i said no thank you she sort of tutted. I was really sad because one of the Pixiwoo girls was there and really friendly but i got the grumpy lady :(
ReplyDeleteUgh I hate sales assistants like this - how do they not realise that being such pushy stalkers causes people to NOT buy stuff?!
ReplyDeleteI can't stand pushy sales assistants!
ReplyDeleteI have had experiences like that too, but mainly I find that I get ignored. The last 3 times I have been to Mac for example, I have literally had to serve myself!
It makes me laugh actually because when you get to the till they ask ''Who served you today?''. When I say ''Me!'' they don't look too impressed! Lol.
I am a shop assistant and we are constantly told by managers to approach the customers. I find it difficult, as a shopper myself I hate being approached by sales assistants because you say you don't want any help when you are browsing and then feel like an idiot when you do actually want something and have to ask the same sales assistant.
ReplyDeleteThe way I have resolved it at work is to give the customer a really simple "hello" and a nice smile and you casually walk past. I find that way they know you can be approached if they need anything but don't feel pestered.
It is definitely a mixed bag out there. I hate when they use dirty brushes on you - I had this once at an Origins counter (when they used to stock make-up) and feared for my acne-prone skin. I said to her do you not clean your brushes? She was like yes but it didn't look like it. On the other side of the coin I had a lovely experience at the Ellis Faas counter in Liberty this week - lovely application of product.
ReplyDelete