Search This Blog

Monday, 2 March 2009

REVIEW: LUSH'S "LES CACAS HENNA HAIR DYE"


This one's for you Daniel John ;)

Now for those of you who don't know me well (or mostly at all!) I have a strong passion for red hair. It's been all shades of red, from pillarbox red to a deep maroon black.

So when someone *points* asked me on Twitter about what I thought about Lush's Henna dyes I thought I should write a bit about them.

Basically "Les Cacas" which translates as "shit" is a natural plant based hair dye and consists of Henna and other ingredients such as coffee depending on the shade.

I've tried Caca Marron and Caca Rouge before and both have given me good results.

One thing you need to know now, the results come with time...and lot's of it! Henna is best applied and left for at LEAST 4 hours...there were times when I even slept with it on to achieve a deep colour.

It also takes forever to break up and actually get into a mixable state...I recommend a cheese grater to help break the block up. SERIOUSLY!

It's also very MESSY. You mix it up hot and apply as quick as you can, preferably in the shower, over the bath or outside.

Caca Rouge is more of an orange/ginger colour but you can get a stunning red if you boil a beetroot and use that hot water to mix up with the henna...you can also include a bit of red wine to help deepen it. I KNOW! It sounds crazy and insane but it definitely works. I got a lovely plum red when I did this :)

Once applied cover your head in cling film if you want a REDDER colour, or leave it bare if you want a BROWNER colour.

Here is a quick pros and cons run down...

Pros

*Natural, won't ruin hair condition
*Conditioning, makes hair glossy
*Smells nice (actually scratch that, depends on your taste!)
*Great red shades but DO A PATCH TEST FIRST!
*Animal friendly, great for vegans

Cons
*Permenant, if you hate the colour you have to grow it out. Dying over it only pushes the colour deeper into the hair shaft. But I've done this before and it turned out ok...but then again I did dye it red...
*Takes a lot of time and effort, tres tedious and a lot of hard work.
*Colour can be hit and miss. If you aren't too shy to experiment it's ok!
*MESSY and potentially could stink depending on what smells you like!
*It weighs a TON once applied and makes your head SO heavy.

Anyway...I hope this helps some of you! If you want my own personal opinion now that I've discovered Naturtint I wouldn't use Cacas again...I get a great colour from this dye and it takes a fraction of the time and doesn't ruin my hair!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated...fire away! I shall adore you dearly.