Search This Blog

Thursday, 28 October 2010

GUERLAIN & MARIE CLAIRE'S UGLY SIDE...

What is WRONG with people these days?

Are we not in the 21st Century?

Can we not accept each others differences and move on?

Today I read two articles which quite frankly digusted me.


Guerlain are in the process of being sued by French anti-racism groups after one of it's best known perfumiers made the following statement on French state tv:

"I worked like a n****r. I don't know if n****rs have always worked like that, but anyway."

I just don't understand racist remarks like these.
It makes me sad to think that there are still individuals out there who think such comments are acceptable. They aren't. Racism is not ok. It makes me sad that there are some people who cannot see beyond the colour of a persons skin. How can someone not accept another based purely on their ethnic background?

*sigh*

Another article that really got me reeling was Marie Claire's blog post entitled "should fatties get a room? (Even on TV)". It was a post that originally addressed US sitcom "Mike & Molly" which progressively turned into a bitch about obese people.
 
Maura Kelly (MC's official blogger) blogged the following:

"So anyway, yes, I think I'd be grossed out if I had to watch two characters with rolls and rolls of fat kissing each other ... because I'd be grossed out if I had to watch them doing anything. To be brutally honest, even in real life, I find it aesthetically displeasing to watch a very, very fat person simply walk across a room"

Needless to say her offensive and inappropriate comments sparked a raging fire of fury with MC readers as well as celebs (Sharon Osbourne and Dita Von Teese to name a few)expressing their disgust.


I've never rated Marie Claire as a magazine and I'm really disappointed with the way they have handled this situation. What I want to know is how a blog post like this was allowed to be published in the first place? Are there no editorial policies in place? Will this blogger still keep her job? and WHY has no one taken the blog post down?!

It's bad enough that magazine pages are saturated with size 0 models and article after article about how to lose weight, and now we have to be subjected to filth like this?

It's not bloody acceptable Marie Claire!

You can read the offensive blog post here
Click here to read more about Guerlain's racist comments

Have you read these articles? What are your opinions? Leave a comment and let me know.

4 comments:

  1. Well, J-P would think I was one of those n****rs, as I'm a poc (person of color) several shades darker than you. We need to boycott Guerlain and LVMH brands: http://www.lvmh.com/groupe/pg_societe.asp?str_table_1=societe&secteur=4&rub=3&srub=4 including Sephora.

    As for MC, here is my comment on that thoughtless blogpost:

    My immediate thoughts:
    1) You have no sense, no filter, you don't care who you hurt.
    2) Cancel my subscription, as whoever your editor is, they don't have any of the above, either!
    Upon further thought:
    - Re: your apology: too little, too late, and so what about your issues - is that an excuse? Not a valid one. So now what?
    - Your punishment should be: you're fired and you need to volunteer at Overeaters Anonymous and work with "those" people.

    Thanks for blogging about some issues that deserve attention and critical thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I applaud you standing up and requesting compassion, niceness, sensitivity -- why try to hurt anyone with words -- the cowards way. Why turn to a hateful word or disparage someone's physical condition --- do they need to make themselves feel bigger and beyond such conditions. Well...we all get fat and they will too probably. Maybe they will hate themselves then. Respect all -- we are all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so unacceptable! These brands and magazines have the chance to be opinion leaders and instead they're just jumping on the 1907's racist bandwagon. For shame!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah - how awful!

    Guerlain: what the f&$#"?

    I read the whole Marie Claire debacle and it was unbelievable that they allowed such an article to be published.

    I guess big brands are not so almighty afterall and make these mistakes...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated...fire away! I shall adore you dearly.