Search This Blog

Monday, 25 October 2010

WHEN PERFUME STINKS...

There are times when perfume just positively stinks and this evening it most certainly did.

There I was, minding my own business, sitting on the tube home when I catch the scent of familiarity. But NOT a good one. Oh no...the scent I caught was the scent of an ex. You see, many many years ago I use to date someone who's signature aftershave was Jean Paul Gaultier le male. This aftershave would permeate the air that surrounded him and a scent I very much relate to him. Needless to say whenever I am unfortunate enough to catch a whiff of this smell it doesn't conjure the fondest of memories, so yes...I really dislike "le male".



So this got me thinking...What other fragrances do I detest?


STELLA MCCARTNEY by Stella McCartney
I actually really like this perfume, my brother bought it for me one Christmas bless him. However, it also reminds me of a rather nasty and damn right BITCH of an ex manager who would keep this fragrance in her locker and spritz herself with it just before we all went out for work drinks. I positively LOATH the fact that whenever I smell this perfume it reminds me of that malicious individual. Some people are just not worth remembering...


BOUDOIR by Vivienne Westwood
My mum bought me the travel spray for when I went to live in New Zealand for a year. I had quite possibly my worst year to date when I was living there that I now associate this perfume with a very miserable time in my life. 


So yes! Fragrance can absolutely STINK sometimes. If it's not an ex, it's an unreasonable COW...or a period of time that was wrought with unhappiness.


Those are mine...now what are yours? :P

9 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you're talking about. I can't stand Armani for Him because it reminds me of an ex and I hate smelling it on other people. That's a shame about Stella because it's a lovely perfume xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chanel No 5 - even though I hate it as a fragrance without the person attached to it - stinks! There was a teacher in high school who more or less bathed in the stuff. The smell of her lingered in the hallways for hours after she'd passed through them. It always made me feel ill. She hated me for some unknown reason. She didn't even teach me!

    Paco Rabanne 1 Million is another one. For the same reason - crappy boyfriend. Did some horrible things. I gag if I get a whiff of it.

    Chrissy
    xx

    ChrissyDee1011

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree! Scents can provke such memories, I physically GAG when I smell the cheap nasty Versace Red Jeans as ex best friends used to drown herself in it... urghh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wondering.. why was the period where you lived in NZ the worst year of your life? Was it because of homesickness?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had better not come round mine... my other half wears Le Male and I wear the Viv Westwood scent!!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    I just refound your blog - and I'm sooo happy :-D I'm following you from DK, but for some reason you've been deleted from my daily dosis.
    I'm glad to be back ;o)
    Actually, I also hate the scent by Gaultier. It reminds me of an ex as well. Funny :D
    Besides that, I really don't like Light Blue by D&G and Cool Water by Davidoff - they remind me of embarassing teen-years ;)
    xoxo Louise

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Ngelic thanks for your question. I lived in NZ for a year and love the country as a whole, but when I was there I was so homesick, missing family and friends.
    Plus I was in a relationship that wasn't working and struggling to keep in going was mentally and physically exhausting especially when you have no support from all you are close to.
    I struggled without creature comforts like central heating and it was the worst Winter in Wellington in 75 odd years. When it wasn't cold it was rainning.
    All of the above and more made me really reflect on what I had left behind and I just wasn't my happy self :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. JPG Le Male reminds me of an awful ex too. Shame about the Stella, that's my favourite going out perfume! Sarah Jessica Parker Lovely makes me gag as a girl in my office uses it in an attempt to disguise her feminine odour problem, one of my friends wears it and I can't cope with it! Realise that was TMI, sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear New Zealand was terrible! I know about living overseas and know how hard it can get! So you have my sympathy!

    Cacharel Amor Amor (spelling of Cacharel might be wrong) reminds me of an ex best friend, we were super close but then she demanded that I bully a girl for her (v. long story) and I refused so we parted on bad terms and now it just reminds me of her stupidity. It also reminds me, not as much though, of my sister's goth days, so sometimes images of heavily-lined eyes and spiky dyed black hair swim before my eyes and I want to cringe from it. She was also a difficult character at the time too :S

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated...fire away! I shall adore you dearly.