I thought I'd write a bit of a ramble tonight as the bf and I are currently debating the annual bombardments of perfume TV ads that hit the screens just in time for xmas.
For the last few weeks we've been taking the piss, admiring and generally observing the adverts we have seen.
Bf: Dior is a very glamorous brand but if I were Dior I wouldn't be happy with the message it's portaying. Whilst it does try and portray glamour; Charlize Theron comes across as bitchy, snobby and arrogant. Don't you think? (he then starts rambing on saying "gold is cold, diamonds are dead...f**k off who do you think you are?It's presumptious...I don't like the way she walks but whatever...")
Watch the video here:
But he says to really understand the point that hes making you have to compare the Dior ad to the Nicole Kidman Chanel one (he means Chanel No5). Both campaigns are trying to portray the same thing, it's all about glamour and beauty.
He says the Nicole Kidman one is just that...glamorous and that it's like a dream.
Bf: "I don't even like Nicole Kidman but it's executed perfectly. It's artistic in a way. When you see the Chanel one you want to be in that moment. When you see the Charlize one you think I don't want to be her, what a bitch. I don't want her as my girlfriend!".
Check the video out here:
Me? I'm in agreement. I really don't like the Charlize one...chuck it here, chuck it there...gahhh it's not me.
Chanel really do know how to make their perfume ads I must say but right now I can't really think of a perfume ad that I actually like...let me ponder it some more and get back to you.
What do you think?Do you agree with the bf? Would love to know your thoughts on this one (and secretly so would he!)
Next time we will be debating men's aftershave commercials...Ooo it's going to be a goody!
Search This Blog
Thursday, 16 December 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I used to adore the perfume advert featuring Estelle Warren as red riding hood. Throughout my entire teenage years I wanted to be in that moment, looking stunning beautiful and serene.
ReplyDeleteMy bf hates the Dior ad too! X
I hadn't seen the Nicole Kidman one yet so I watched that and I think they are both kind of beautiful commercials but perfume ads in general... Ugh! Talk about pretentious--they're almost alllll like that. It's funny, really. Laughable.
ReplyDeleteI think I'd like the Charlize ad if it was a different actress/model. She bugs me and I'm thinking that's the real problem I have with that one.
I totally agree that the Dior one comes across as a quite snobby and that the Chanel one is beautiful! xx
ReplyDeleteMy workmate (whos a bloke) just said it looks like her bones are about to fall out the way she walks...interesting to hear these male opinions on the ad :)
ReplyDeleteI don't like her feet in the Dior one =0/
ReplyDeleteI never actually thought of these prefume ads this way... mainly since we don't get a lot of them here. I do agree that the dior ad came out as snobby, way too snobby.. like one of those girls who had a rich father all her life and got everything she wanted.
ReplyDelete